Sunday, October 08, 2006

British library calls for copyright action

Here is a very GOOD and WELLPLACED comment on current copyright laws:

"Unless there is a serious updating of copyright law to recognize the changing technological environment, the law becomes an ass."
--Lynne Brindley, CEO, British Library

Read more at CNET News

One of my favourite websites for legal information is Groklaw.net, and I found this happy comment on the IP Manifesto to British Library there:

" I am so thrilled, I can't even express myself. And you know how rare that is! You may recall that I wrote a lengthy article detailing exactly what DRM was like and what it was doing to their collection and accessibility of the world's knowledge, The British Library - The world's knowledge DRM'd and for a price," and if I contributed to today's result in any small part at all, I can die happy. Of course, it is Larry Lessig who first noticed the problem and made it an issue for us all to consider.

You know how I always tell you that the law often moves to a better place as people get to understand new issues? It's happening. I see it. And I am glad. "

Read the rest here: The British Library Gets It!

No comments: