Monday, May 16, 2005

WiMax: Wi-Fi killer or dead on arrival?

WiMax: Wi-Fi killer or dead on arrival?: "'WiMax is being used today as a fixed technology, but the 802.16e wireless WiMax specification is coming,' O'Neal said. This will enable to WiMax to complement or perhaps displace existing end-point access technologies like Digital Subscriber Line (DSL), cable, Wi-Fi and third-generation (3G) wireless WAN services offered by cellular providers, he added.

Ron Peck, director of platform and solution marketing in Santa Clara, Calif.-based Intel Corp.'s WiMax group, said Intel is aggressively pursuing the technology, particularly 802.16e, for future notebook computer chips.

The chipmaker last month shipped its first WiMax component, based on an early version of the technology. For widespread adoption to become reality, Peck said, WiMax must remain an open standard.

'The vast majority of the people working on the technology today are approaching it from a low-royalty or no-royalty approach,' Peck said, 'but that's a work in progress.'

"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I honestly must say this is the best blog I have ever come across. I am not just saying that to kiss your butt! I am studying for my master degrees and spent the last 12 hours (and 12 cups of java) researching this area topic. Many blogs have generic information but yours is different. I can actually apply some of this information to my studies. No worries I will give you full credit in my references section. I took it upon myself to add you to my favorites and will visit back to let you know how my grade ends up. Thanks so much from!notebook computer shopping.